Our trip to the ER

It was bound to happen. I have 2 boys who have very little regard for personal safety. They both think that you are standing still if you are not running as fast as you can. And, as Luke is fairly new to this whole “walking” thing, he falls a lot.

Well, Wednesday morning last week, the day after an amazing Halloween night full of adventure and costumes and adorableness, I get the call. I had just pulled in to the parking lot at work. I hadn’t even taken my seatbelt off yet. My phone rings and the caller ID is Luke’s daycare. I always have a brief moment of anxiety when I see that name on the caller ID. I assume that most mother’s do. I always hope that it is something minor like ‘he ran out of diapers’ or ‘I need to update his immunization records.’ But deep down, I always assume it is something terrible.

When I answered, the voice on the other end said, with a rushed voice, “Luke is okay, but…”

My heart sank. Before she could get the next words out of her mouth a million tragedies are running through my mind. I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately and I truly don’t know if I can handle one more thing. I have had about 4 weeks of non-stop everything with barely any moment to catch my breath.

Between my husband going out of town for a week for work to my own work travel to school events, Halloween, sicknesses, and life in general, I haven’t had a single moment to recharge. I am someone who needs time to recharge. I know that about myself. As a result, the craziness of the last month has sent me into a funk…  A funk in which any emergency might break me. This call from daycare did it.


“Luke is okay, but… He fell on a toy and the corner hit him in the face and split his lip. It looks pretty deep and it may need stitches.”


She sends me a picture of him (when I get it, I die a little inside) and I let her know I will be right there. I call Luke’s doctor. She tells me to take him to the pediatric emergency room. I didn’t even know our city had a pediatric emergency room. I call Matt. He does absolutely nothing to calm me down. He asks if he needs to go with me. I say no even though, inside, I am freaking out and begging him to be there because I truly don’t know if I can do this alone.

Just then, the light comes on in my car telling me I need gas. Fuck.

I stop at the gas station.

On the way to pick up Luke, I call my friend who is usually pretty good at calming me down. She doesn’t answer. After all, it’s not even 8am yet. She calls me back, sensing an emergency. I tell her about the situation and she, as hard as she tried, did little to comfort me. At this point, I just need my baby in my arms. I need to assess the situation myself.

I get to daycare. Luke looks pitiful. His face is swollen and bloody. His eyes are puffy from crying. I know he can tell that I am freaking out. I try not to show it. The cut does look pretty bad. I don’t think it needs stitches but, I am not a doctor. We head to the emergency room just to be safe.

I check in at the ER and I didn’t even have to sit down in the waiting room. A nurse was waiting for me at the door to take us back to our room. Luke perked up once she started taking his vitals. He seemed to forget about the gaping hole in his lip and was mostly excited to explore this new and exciting hospital room. The doctor took a little too long to get there because Luke pretty much destroyed the room. Between the latex gloves, hand sanitizer, and hospital gowns, there was very little floor showing by the time the doctor got there. He even unplugged something at one point that set off a little alarm.


He was acting like himself which brought my craziness down several notches. The doctor assessed him and determined that it didn’t go all the way through and it didn’t cross the “lip line” so no stitches were necessary. He prescribed an antibiotic ointment and sent us on our way.


He fell asleep in the car on the way to the pharmacy so I sat in the car in the parking lot and cried. Not a sad cry, but a cry of relief, of exhaustion, of release.

On a normal day, and on a grander scheme, this is not that big of a deal. Toddlers fall. It happens.

But, as I am sure many other mothers feel on a regular basis, I am just trying to make it through each day, one step at a time. This parenting thing is hard enough on a good day. But after a month of not being able to recharge, a month of zero self-care, a month of absolute crazy, I broke. And it sucks. And it makes me feel weak. And it makes me feel like a bad mother.

Ultimately, I know better. I’m freakin’ awesome. But in that moment, on that day, I hurt for my baby. And it is a hurt that doesn’t go away just because his lip is healing. It is a hurt that is screaming at me to take care of myself.


About Callie

I'm a mom and a counselor. I want people to be able to talk about everything, show the real side of parenting, admit their faults, and celebrate their successes.

Posted on November 6, 2017, in Mom Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.

  1. Jennifer Glosson

    Aw, Callie, you handled it the way any stressed beyond belief mom would handle the situation. You still put little Luke first, and you waited to break down until you had five minutes to yourself. I remember our first ER visit with Henry, and no one mentioned the pediatric ER at the time. There were also several head injuries he sustained. The most recent was at the playground at school last year. He was being his usual “jump off everything and run around like a crazy man” self when he went head first into a metal pole in the middle of the playground. I was on my way back from lunch and saw the school had tried calling about two minutes before. My phone was on silent since I was at a lunch. I called voicemail thinking someone had a tummy ache or whatnot. The message only said, “This is Henry’s teacher, there has been an incident on the playground and an ambulance has been called.” I have never driven so fast. No one could tell me exactly what was going on. It was freezing outside. My son was on the ground, covered up in jackets, dazed and staring up at me and the ten or so other adults and first responders and said, “Hi, Mommy. I think I hit my head. I saw blue stars.” My adrenaline was spiked. The folks from EMS were helpful, said that he *might* have a concussion, but if they transported him to the hospital he would have to spend a minimum of 48 hours being admitted. They called my doc, and then the doc called the pediatric wing ER. The nurse was waiting for us as we arrived, brought us back, and then we waited and waited. He wound up being alright, but for a nasty headache and a major knot on his head. I was never so relieved for my kid to have a headache. I held it together until I got home and sat in the bathroom and cried and cried.

    The playground incident hit about the same time as my father-in-law getting very ill and being admitted to the hospital and then hospice; my husband was in a job in hated and wasn’t happy most of the time; work was stressful…the list went on and on. No time to myself. I had the kids all the time with hardly any breaks due to hubby’s work schedule. Migraines were being triggered due to stress. You get the picture. I nearly broke a few times.

    Time to yourself to recharge is necessary. It makes you a better you. And, as you know, I’ll take your kids off your hands anytime you need some space to focus on you.

  2. I love the way you write. I love your “brutal honesty”. Although I am a grandma, I remember my first trip to the ER with my 2 year old daughter who needed 4 stitches. And I didn’t handle it nearly as well as you handled Luke’s injury. I, for what it’s worth, think you are a great mom. And yes, you need to recharge wherever and
    however you can in your current situation. And that is not easy. My hat goes off to you.

  3. We have taken Willa to the ER twice, both which ended up being needless. Once was for a SUPER high fever, and the other as the time we thought she ate a toy (because she told us she did). I have never been so freaked as when my baby girl had to have an X-ray, and I couldn’t be in the room because there was a *chance* I was pregnant. The waiting is terrible, as is the looks from nurses who seem to imply you did something wrong either by coming needlessly or for letting your kid ingest an object.

    You are an awesome mom, never forget that. You were totally there for Luke and held your shit together until he passed out. Way to be.

    • Thank you. Kids fall. It doesn’t make me a bad mom. If I say it enough, eventually I’ll believe it. You are also one of my mom mentors. Your kid is the smart one in the movie Parenthood. My kid is the one with the bucket on his head. 😁

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: